Attention Kalamazoo County Playwrights!
Theatre Kalamazoo is now accepting one-act and ten-minute plays by Kalamazoo County playwrights for the 7th Annual Theatre Kalamazoo New Playfest to be held at the Epic Theatre in early 2017. Plays will be read and chosen for participation in the festival by a committee headed by Festival Producer Kevin Dodd and Dr. Steve Feffer (Professor of Playwriting at Western Michigan University.)
During the first six Theatre Kalamazoo New Play Festivals, over five dozen new plays by playwrights from Kalamazoo County, Western Michigan University, and Kalamazoo College were presented as public script-in-hand staged readings that were rehearsed and developed by the member theatres of Theatre Kalamazoo. In the last four years, we have also seen plays from Kalamazoo professional writers such as Dr. Von Washington, Sr., Bonnie Jo Campbell, Arnie Johnston & Deb Percy, and Gail Griffin, as well as nationally known playwrights Dipika Guha and Adam Szymkowicz.
The guidelines for submitting to the Playfest are as follows:
1. The deadline for submissions is July 1, 2016 (no late plays can be accepted).
2. Interested playwrights must be residents of Kalamazoo County.
3. Playwrights are encouraged to attend all the rehearsals leading up to the readings so they can develop their script with the theatre company–and attend the public staged-reading.
4. Playwrights may submit one-act plays (11-40 pages) and ten-minute plays (up to 10 pages), but may only submit one play in each category (up to two plays total).
5. The scripts should be in standard play format (for more on standardizing the play format click here). We also encourage the submission of new radio plays, which should follow the appropriate format for radio theatre.
6. Plays should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
7. Include in the email subject heading: “Theatre K New Playfest Submission” and the category the play should be considered for (one-act or ten-minute).
8. Please do not include any identifying information (author’s name, etc.) on the title page or the body of the play. Instead, include the author’s information in the email, along with all necessary contact information (email, snail mail –including zip – and cell #).
9. Include a brief synopsis of the play with your submission that includes a cast of characters and a break down of the number of actors needed, including females and males, necessary to do the play.
Email questions to email@example.com.