TK NEW PLAYFEST
Theatre Kalamazoo, the consortium of Kalamazoo theatres, is now accepting one-act and ten-minute plays by Kalamazoo County playwrights for the 5th Annual Theatre Kalamazoo New Playfest to be held at the Epic Center Theatre Friday, January 30, 2015 through Sunday, Feb. 1, 2015. Plays will be read and chosen for participation in the festival by a local committee headed by Steve Feffer (Professor of Playwriting at Western Michigan University) and Ed Menta (Director of Theatre at Kalamazoo College).
During the first four Theatre Kalamazoo New Playfests, nearly four dozen new plays by Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo College, and community playwrights were presented as public script-in-hand staged readings that were rehearsed and developed by the theatres that are members of Theatre Kalamazoo. In the last two years, we have seen the addition of work from Kalamazoo professional writers Bonnie Jo Campbell, Arnie Johnston & Deb Percy, and Gail Griffin
The guidelines for submitting to the Playfest are as follows:
- The deadline for submissions is July 1, 2014 (no late plays can be accepted).
- Interested playwrights must be residents of Kalamazoo County.
- Playwrights are encouraged to attend all the rehearsals leading up to the readings–so they can develop their script with the theatre company–and attend the public staged-reading.
- Playwrights may submit one-act plays (11-40 pages) and ten-minute plays (up to 10 pages) plays, but may only submit one play in each category (up to two plays total).
- The scripts should be in standard play format (for standardizing the play format please see: http://www.kcactf3.org/playwrights.htm#format).
- Plays should be submitted by email to all three of the following individuals:
a. Steve Feffer at email@example.com
b. Ed Menta at Ed.Menta@kzoo.edu.
c. Mary Mathyer at Mary.firstname.lastname@example.org (administrative assistant)
- Include in the email subject heading: “Theatre K New Playfest Submission” and the category the play should be considered for (one-act or ten-minute).
- Please do not include any identifying information (author’s name, etc.) on the title page or the body of the play. Please include author’s information in the email, along with all necessary contact information (email, snail mail –including zip – and cell #).
- Please include a brief synopsis of the play with your submission.
- Please make sure the play includes a cast of characters and a break down of the number of actors needed, including females and males, necessary to do the play.
Email questions to all three of the above email addresses (we want to make sure we’re all in the loop at all times!)