THEATRE KALAMAZOO IS ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 4th ANNUAL NEW PLAY FESTIVAL – Deadline is July 1, 2013
Theatre Kalamazoo, the consortium of Kalamazoo theatres, is now accepting one-act and ten-minute plays by Kalamazoo County playwrights for the 4th Annual Theatre Kalamazoo New Playfest to be held at the Epic Center Theatre Friday, Feb. 7 through Sunday, Feb. 9th, 2014. Plays will be read and chosen for participation in the festival by a local committee headed by Steve Feffer (Professor of Playwriting at Western Michigan University) and Ed Menta (Director of Theatre at Kalamazoo College).
During the first three Theatre Kalamazoo New Playfests, nearly three dozen new plays by Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo College, and community playwrights were presented as public script-in-hand staged readings that were rehearsed and developed by the theatres that are members of Theatre Kalamazoo. Last year saw the addition of work from Kalamazoo professional writers Bonnie Jo Campbell, Arnie Johnston, and Deb Percy.
The guidelines for submitting to the Playfest are as follows:
1. The deadline for submissions is July 1, 2013 (no late plays can be accepted).
2. Interested playwrights must be residents of Kalamazoo County.
3. Playwrights are encouraged to attend all the rehearsals leading up to the readings–so they can develop their script with the theatre company–and attend the public staged-reading.
4. Playwrights may submit one-act plays (11-59 pages) and ten-minute plays (up to 10 pages) plays, but may only submit one play in each category (up to two plays total).
5. The scripts should be in standard play format (for standardizing the play format please see: http://www.kcactf3.org/playwrights.htm#format).
7. Include in the email subject heading: “Theatre K New Playfest Submission” and the category the play should be considered for (one-act or ten-minute).
8. Please do not include any identifying information (author’s name, etc.) on the title page or the body of the play. Please include author’s information in the email, along with all necessary contact information (email, snail mail –including zip – and cell #).
9. Please include a brief synopsis of the play with your submission.
10. Please make sure the play includes a cast of characters and a break down of the number of actors needed, including males and females, necessary to do the play.
The Theatre Kalamazoo New Play Festival is Supported by: